Here at LittleThings, we are always on board any opportunity to eat a beautiful dessert. That’s why we think America has to make like the other side of the pond and embrace the tradition of afternoon teatime!
With that in mind, we’ve put together a beautiful recipe for a tasty take on a high-tea favorite. Instead of scones and clotted cream, you can enjoy your afternoon cuppa with a delicious and lightly fragrantEarl Grey tea cupcake.
These scrumptious cupcakes combine standard vanilla cake batter with the delicate flavor of Earl Grey tea.
Earl Grey is an old-fashioned tea beloved in Great Britain. Its strong scent makes it popular for everything from afternoon teatimeto lovely scentedair fresheners. It combines black tea leaves with oil of bergamot, a citrusy fruit that is a cousin of the orange.
Add a bit of Earl Grey flavor to your favorite cupcake recipe, and you’ll be well on your way to a highly civilized cup of afternoon tea with the perfect pastry accompaniment!
To try this yummy cakeyourself, print out the recipe below!
- 23 cup hot milk
- 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- 1 34 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 12 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 13 cup Greek yogurt
- 12 cup canola oil
- 34 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- Buttercream frosting, to taste
- Pour hot milk over tea bags in a heat-safe container. Set aside to steep 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir together well and set aside.
- Squeeze tea bags firmly into milk, then remove them. Pour steeped milk into second mixing bowl. Add vanilla and Greek yogurt, then whisk together well.
- In a third bowl, combine canola oil and sugar. Cream together, then fold in eggs.
- Mixing continuously, add in half of the flour mixture and follow with milk mixture. Add remaining flour mixture and continue mixing until smooth.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tray, and bake 15 to 18 minutes at 350 F.
- Decorate with buttercream frosting. Serve and enjoy!
Due to restrictions, this video cannot
be viewed in your region.